- stem, leaves and flowers of plant can be eaten raw.
- plant is best when collected before fruiting.
- raw plant has mild/no taste and older plants have an unpalatable texture.
- plant is best when cooked.
- is a good source of vitamin C.
- varieties in Prince Edward Island are Cleavers (Galium aparine), Northern bedstraw (Galium boreale) and Sweet-scented bedstraw (Galium triflorum).
- look for bedstraw alongside low-growing vegetation and disturbed soil sites.
- warning: acts as a mild laxative when eaten in quantity.