- cap is up to 35 cm broad, convex, reddish to yellowish brown, smooth but often uneven.
- underside of cap consists of pores that are initially whitish, then olive in age.
- flesh is white; flesh and pores do not discolor when bruised.
- stem is white or slightly brownish, variable in shape, and is marked by a fine, white fishnet pattern that extends down from the top of the stem.
- partial veil is absent.
- grows singly or as many in conifer and hardwood stands.
- appears in spring, summer and fall.
- has a mild and pleasant taste with no odor; cook before eating.