- not a mushroom, but a parasitic fungus that grows on mushrooms.
- the fungus turns the host mushroom a bright reddish orange.
- the fungus deforms the surface of the host mushroom to be coarse, cracked, and dotted with tiny white pimples.
- the fungus eventually twists the mushroom into an irregular shape, making the host unidentifiable.
- has a seafood-like flavor that is highly variable.
- has a firm, dense texture.
- fresh specimens have a white interior.
- appears in summer and fall following rainy weather.