- cap is up to 11 cm broad, convex, medium to dark brown with reddish/pink cracks and damaged pink patches.
- older specimens have a flatter cap with deeper cracks.
- underside of cap has yellow pores that bruise blue.
- flesh is whitish, may be reddish near the skin.
- stem is dull yellow, possibly streaked red, often curved, with flesh that slowly bruises blue when cut.
- appears in the spring, summer and fall.
- grows either alone or in numbers in association with conifers and hardwoods.
- has a mild taste with no odor; cook before eating.